The Y: for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. #ForABetterUs OUR HISTORY
For more than 150 years, the YMCA of the USA has forcefully pursued a mission of service to men, women and children of all ages. The YMCA of Austin was chartered in 1953 and granted admission to the Austin United Fund in 1954. By the summer of 1955, the YMCA was operating a health club for businessmen and a day camp for youth. During the following years, the YMCA expanded its programs and facilities to accommodate men, women and children of all ages. In 1955, the YMCA of Austin received its status as a 501c(3) non-profit organization.
Since 1987, growth of the YMCA of Austin has been extensive. Revenue has increased from $1 million in 1989 to a projected 2008 budget of $15.4 million. Facility and program growth has blossomed with the addition of our Southwest Family Branch (1991), the TownLake Natatorium (1993), the Southwest Preschool (1993), the Program Services Branch (1994), the North Park Branch (1997), the Pflugerville Center (2000), the East Communities Branch (2000), the Northwest Family Branch (2002), Hays Communities Family Branch (2007) and the most current new facility, The Springs, that opened in December of 2007.
YMCA youth development programs have been greatly expanded into neighborhood schools, churches and housing complexes throughout Greater Austin. The YMCA of Austin is committed to an aggressive program development agenda that will enrich the lives of