1. Outdoor picnic: Put together a basket full of mom's favorite selections from your local grocery store or to-go restaurant. Grab a blanket and spend a few hours with your mother and Mother Nature. The weather will be gorgeous for it! Or stay home and enjoy the backyard with the whole family.
2. Zilker Gardens: Buying mom flowers is always a good idea, but you could also take her out to the Zilker Gardens. Stroll through the many gardens while spending quality time with mom. And it makes for great photo opportunities (which you should print and frame for her later)
3. Blanton Museum of Art: Show mom some culture and treat her to the beauty of art. Open from 1-5pm on Sunday, the Blanton Museum offers featured and pop-up events. Currently featuring Come as You Are: Art from the 1990's through the 15th and pop-up show Women in Art from 3-4pm on Sunday. See full calendar here.
4. UMLAUF Family Day: Family fun designed for the little ones up to 10 years old. Plenty of activities throughout the day. 12-4pm. Details here.
4. Victorian Tea at the Driskill: Mother's Day Victorian tea complete with champagne, tea, scones, traditional tea sandwiches, pastries and petite fours. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 512-391-7227. Seating is at 3 or 5pm. Event pricing starts at $56 for adults/$33 for children age 12 and younger.
5. Mother's Day Buffets/Specials: There are numerous buffets available so mom won't have to cook on her special day. Be sure to make a reservation though to avoid long waits. We hear Mama Fu's is offering free meals (Buy one entree, get one free) for mom through May 10th .
6. Breakfast at Tiffany's Mother's Day Brunch: Take in a movie and a four-course brunch at the Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar. Showing at noon on Sunday. Get tickets in advance here.
7. Sunshine Run: If you're a family that like to do physical things together, consider participating in the 2016 Sunshine Run. Register for 1, 5, or 10k run benefiting the Austin Sunshine Camp
8: Sweets for the Sweet: Pick up some special doughnuts that are sure to please mom's sweet tooth. With a large variety to choose from, you'll find something that's simply perfect for your mama.
9. Pecan Street Festival: Taking place all weekend, you may want to celebrate early with mom. There will be plenty of food, drinks, music and fun along the 6th street area blocked off for one of Austin's largest block parties. Special kids area available for the little ones. Schedule of activities and music here.
10: Create a Masterpiece: Paint mom something she'll proudly display. Painting with a Twist is hosting painting sessions on Mother's Day but you must register online. Seating is limited, so don't delay!
11. Whiskey and Chocolate Pairing Class: (Limited seating) Give mom the gift of a guided tasting of 3 whiskies paired with house-paired chocolates. Hosted at Backbeat, the $50 ticket price includes gratuity and souvenir glass and taking notes.
12. Music at the Capital: Give mom the gift of music and take her to listen to the Austin Symphonic Band at the Texas Capital on the South Steps at 7pm.